Trelew Standing Stone

This is another fine standing stone, 3m (10ft) tall, which was excavated by W.Borlase in 1872 who found a pit some 1m (3ft) away, containing pieces of wood, flint, clay and bone.

Center map
Get Directions

Ordnance Survey Grid Reference

SW 4217 2693

Location

This stone is located to the south of Boscawen-ûn circle, and is best reached by continuing along the A30 eastwards towards Penzance, and at Catchall turning south-west towards St. Buryan. After about a mile, there is a turning on the left to Trelew farm. The stone is in a field to the left (south) of this lane. The photograph (left) shows St.Buryan church tower in the distance.

Purpose and Meaning

This stone has several interesting alignments or ley lines going through it, including one from Boscawen-ûn circle which runs through a fallen stone at SW 4182 2702 to this standing stone and on to two more standing stones at Toldavas and Castallack.