Sancreed holy well lies in a pine and holly grove, and steps lead deeply down into a womb- like chamber, covered with corbelled stone walls and roof. There is now a relatively shallow level of water, though in recent times it was at a much higher level: something seems to have affected the water table, reducing the height of the water. Nevertheless, the water is still clear and cold, and the surrounding moss often shines with a phospherescent glow, giving the whole site a very magical grotto-like feel. The well, which probably originally dates from pre-Christian times, was lost and buried in thick undergrowth for a number of years, but was re-discovered by the Vicar of Sancreed in 1879, and subsequently kept cleared by a Juliette Shanks, who has a plaque dedicated to her on the site. The remains of a early Chapel lie behind the well, with a large 15th century carved stone in one corner, which may have originally formed part of an arch. A modern Christian cross designed in a Celtic fashion stands next to it.